First established by the Adriance family in the 17th century, the Farm was operated by a succession of family farmers for nearly 300 years. The current farmhouse was built around 1772 by Jacob Adriance; much of the original building remains standing today.
Three centuries of private ownership came to an end in 1927 when the land, including the historic farmhouse and 19th-century barn complex, was purchased by the State of New York and incorporated into the adjacent Creedmoor Psychiatric Center. Patients from the Center's hospital maintained the Farm's barns and fields as therapy. As time passed Creedmoor’s formal farming program halted, but resident caretakers continued to work the land for their own love of farming.
In 1973 when the historic buildings were scheduled for demolition, area residents, with the support of State Senator Frank Padavan, encouraged the State to transfer the land and farm buildings to the City as a public park.
Today, in addition to planting, harvesting, and selling the crops, the Farm’s staff cares for cows, sheep, goats, chickens, and pigs. Hayrides and a petting zoo complement educational programs in the restored barns and house, including demonstrations of historic farming techniques, open hearth cooking, and animal care.
Queens County Farm Museum is owned by the New York City Department of Parks & Recreation, operated by the Colonial Farmhouse Restoration Society of Bellerose, Inc., and is a member of the Historic House Trust.